Please join us in welcoming our new members who joined in late May and early June 2017. We would like to take this opportunity to help you get to know these institutions better.
Institutional Member Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Coe College was founded in 1851 by the name of the School for Prophets. During a fundraising campaign, a Catskills farmer named Daniel Coe pledged $1,500 with the stipulation that the frontier town college be “made available for the education of females as well as males.” Since Coe’s early coeducational beginnings, the college has grown in size and reputation.
The Stewart Memorial Library is at the heart of Coe’s campus. A learning commons was added in 2015. In addition, the library houses the Writing Center, the George T. Henry College Archives, the Fisher Music Library, and gallery spaces featuring works by Iowa artists Marvin Cone, Conger Metcalf, and Grant Wood.
St. Mary’s Seminary and University holds the title of the oldest Catholic seminary in the United States and has been called America’s “cradle of pastors.” The Ecumenical Institute is also a part of the university and invites people of all denominations to engage in theological study.
The Marion Burk Knott Library is the largest specialized theological library in the Baltimore area and contains additional materials in the fields of church history, pastoral counseling, philosophy, and psychology. The library’s special collections include a Rare Book Room, the Raymond E. Brown Johannine Collection, and the John Paul II / Catholic-Jewish Relations Collection.